Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 15 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.crossfitsandysprings.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Linda
a.k.a
"Three Bars of Death"
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Reps for time of:
Deadlift 1.5 BW
Bench Press BW
Clean .75 BW

It's been awhile since I've featured another blog on here but Sage Burgener has a great write up about improving your goats.  Sage is Mike Burgener daughter.  Mike is Crossfit's olympic lifting subject matter expert and as such Sage has had a bar in her hands since she could walk.  If you'd like to visit her blog check it out here Strive to be fergilicious. Be warned it is very, very pink.

"So as I was cleaning my house today, I remembered the thousands of times I have been asked how to improve flexibility on the OHS.  I am STOKED (for the old folks out there, stoked means "so excited") that people ask me this because alls it means is that they want to get better at the best movement in the whole entire world! 


The solution is simple: DO MORE OVERHEAD SQUATS.
Whether you are cleaning the house, rearranging furniture or threatening your kids by tossing them over your head to prove your insurmountable feats of strength, you can always be practicing your overhead squat position.  Its one of those things where stretching your shoulders, loosening up your hip flexors, improving your ankle mobility, etc will ALL benefit you, but you really just have to DO the movement as much as possible to really get better at it.  Your body has to get used to finding the right muscles to fire and finding its balance. The only way to do that is to allow the body to feel the movement as much as possible. (AMAP)

 I know its a foreign movement being down in a squat with your hands out wide and heavy weight in your hands. Its anything but comfortable. But like everyone says.. "get comfortable with being uncomfortable". 

You should be able to OHS anything from a pvc pipe to a toyota camry, but when someone is struggling getting in the overhead squat position with a pvc pipe, I usually put a LITTLE weight in their hands (like a 15-33 lb bar) and that generally allows them to sit a little more comfortably in the squat position (if they stay tight and keep the bar back behind the ears allowing their body to support the weight) because something is weighing them down. However, like I said, your goal should be to squat a pvc pipe and a heavy weight exactly the same. Kapeesh?  

So, if your heels come off the ground in a squat, if your shoulders are so tight that the bar wont go back behind your ears, if your torso leans way far forward when trying to get into the OHS, know that these are all common flexibility issues.  Work on flexibility on the side, but for the most part, grab your swiffer and get your booty overhead squatting!" 


Shameless Plug: Don't Forget about Friday afternoons. We're open 4, 5 and 6 p.m.  I personally guarantee fun and excitement!

-Paul Siegel

4 comments:

  1. Linda kicked my arse today. Had a lot of trouble just shaving my face afterward. #1 standing at the sink hurt and #2 my hands appear to have gone through a tree chipper. Putting shaving cream in my hand was like the "Home Alone" movie... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

    At least I get to eat good right now. For breakfast: 5oz steak, 2c celery, 10 macadmia nuts, 1 applepear, 2c strawberries. I eat all my fruit Pwo. I actually ate brussel sprouts for dinner last night. I don't know who I am anymore.

    If you guys are sticking to Paleo, I'd encourage you to take it to the next level and try zone portions (but with more fat/less carbs than std zone) WITH paleo foods. Combining the two has me feeling really great. I've lost more wt/inches in 2 weeks of zone/paleo than I did on 30 day of paleo only. So far down 9lbs/2inches off the waist and surely have put on some muscle...??

    I'll try to stumble in tomorrow and do what I can! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad - good job today. That was a tough workout.

    I was thinking about the tape job you did on your shins. You should get you some of those girly man socks like Nate wears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thought this morning. I think I might invent a super thin shin guard sort of like soccer guards.

    I also considered sticking some maxi-pads on there too so my inventions can be questionable t best...

    You did great too man! Glad to finally see you back in the am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda: Part of the arsenal of 2000 ways to kill yourself while having fun. Thanks Nate for pushing us to the brink

    ReplyDelete